Tuesday, January 22, 2013

My First Restoration Project of 2013



I picked up this watch over a month ago, but I kind of put the project off until the Holidays were over. It was made by International Watch Company and is 18 karat yellow gold. I would estimate that it was made in the mid 1950’s.

As far as what needs to be done to restore this into a serviceable wristwatch, let’s start with the case.


As you can see in the picture above, the watch is completely missing one of the lugs.


The back cover has several slight dings that are almost unnoticeable. It also is in dire need of a polishing. The Crystal needs to be replaced, although I could probably polish the scratches off of it.  I think I would have to go too deep and would prefer a new one. 


The movement is an IWC 21 jewel automatic cal.852 in running condition but needs to be cleaned and oiled.


It still has the original crown, which is always a plus. The dial is in poor shape but I will try to save it before resorting to other options, such as having it redone.

I intend to post updates on the progress of this project, as well as descriptions of any techniques I use.

Feel free to ask questions, or share any techniques you prefer.

No comments:

Post a Comment